Carpal tunnel syndrome is a situation of the hands and arms, which is caused by a tense median nerve in the wrist. The condition is known so because carpal tunnel is the name given to a contracted channel positioned on the palm side of the human wrist. This tunnel not only defends a main nerve to the hand but also the nine tendons that arc the fingers.
Causes of Carpal tunnel syndrome:
- Composition of the wrist
- Style of usage of the hand
- Some basic health troubles
- Fracture of the wrist
- Diseases which damage the nerves such as Diabetes Mellitus, which may damage the Median nerve.
- Rheumatoid arthritis
Symptoms of Carpal tunnel syndrome:
- Lack of feeling or stinging in the thumb, index and middle fingers. The feeling may go on from the wrist up the arm.
- Feebleness may be experienced in the hand with an inclination to let the objects fall. This may be due to the lack of sensation in the hand or flimsiness in those muscles of the thumb which are responsible for pinching.
Jeopardy factors of Carpal tunnel syndrome:
- Modifications in the equilibrium of the fluids of the body e.g. retention of fluid during pregnancy or menopause may amplify the pressure within the carpal tunnel, exasperate the median nerve. Both these conditions lead to inflammation of the wrists.
- Working with quivering tools that necessitate recurring bending of the wrist
- Excessive use of keyboards of the computers
- Female gender
- Disorders of the thyroid gland(Hypothyroidism)
- Kidney failure
Management of Carpal tunnel syndrome:
- Management of this nerve-entrapment condition comprises diagnosis plus treatment.
- As for the diagnosis, the history volunteered by the patient as well as the physical examination performed by the Doctor Bruce Rubinowicz to test the power and control of the muscles in the hand of the patient.
- Radiographs of the affected wrist are proposed by the doctor so as to rule out other causes of pain in the wrist such as fracture, arthritis etc
- EMG (Electro myogram) is performed to gauge the release of tiny electrical signals created in the muscles. This investigation can establish muscle injury( if any).
- Nerve conduction study: is performed to confirm the diagnosis of Carpal tunnel syndrome.
Treatment of Carpal tunnel syndrome:
- Those with slight symptoms of the ailment can reduce their distress by taking repeated pauses during work
- For speedy, successful respite, the sufferer should pay out sometime keeping their hands, wrists, forearms and shoulders physically well and stable by indulging in a good program of straightening and exercise
- Application of cold packs to lessen the inflammation
- Wrist immobilization
- Drugs such as NSAIDs,corticosteroid injections
- Treatment of the underlying cause of the Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Surgery: The aim of surgery is to lessen stress on the median nerve by slashing the ligament pressing on the nerve. Surgery may be of two kinds:
- Endoscopic surgery: This type of surgery causes less pain as compared to the open surgery.
- Open surgery: An incision is positioned in the palm of the hand (over the Carpal tunnel) The incision nicks through the ligament to liberate the nerve.